Saturday, May 1, 2010

Grandma Maime's Angel Food Cake

Mostly I just want to brag. After dozens of lopsided, failed attempts, I finally pulled off a successful angel food cake! (Yes, that is my cake in the picture. Beautiful, isn't it?)

Dan's grandma is famous for her angel food cakes, and this is her recipe. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing! And be warned--this is a picky recipe, and cutting corners or making things up really doesn't work.

1 cup cake flour
1 scant cup sugar (I use baker's sugar)
12 room temperature egg whites
1 tsp. cream of tarter
3/4 cup sugar (again, baker's sugar)
2 tsp. vanilla

Sift cake flour and 1 cup sugar together 3 times.
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until "foamy". I've decided that means somewhere around the "soft peak" stage, although I'm still not sure. Tips: Use the freshest egg whites you can. Use a glass or metal bowl. Wipe down the beaters and bowl very well--any yolk in the egg whites or grease on the beaters or bowl will keep them from beating up as well.
Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar.
Carefully fold in vanilla. Then carefully fold in the flour mixture.
Pour batter into Angel Food Cake pan.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, then 320 for 20 minutes. Do Not open the oven while cooking.
Remove from oven and hang upside down in pan until cool. Then remove from pan, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is super beautiful cake--I thought it was a picture you stole from somewhere else. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete